What is a Lymphatic Facial and How to Give Yourself One
What is a Lymphatic Facial?
The lymph nodes in our lymphatic system work as filters to toxins in our body and the vessels in our lymphatic system, which resemble veins and arteries, help move fluid around our bodies and through the lymph nodes. With a gentle lymphatic facial massage, you are able to target areas that have swelled up. By massaging areas such as your jawline and forehead, it helps release the tension of muscles and connective tissue thus detoxifying and giving your face that extra glow.
What are the benefits?
Lymphatic facials provide a deep cleanse of the skin and boost circulation in the skin. We have 43 muscles in the face doing many jobs so taking the time to massage them and help them relieve tension is crucial. Lymphatic facials also support healthy cell production and help stimulate blood flow in the skin. Since our nerves live right under our skin, massaging and brushing can also calm the nervous system, lower stress hormones, and help regulate cortisol.
How to Give Myself a Lymphatic Facial?
There are a multitude of benefits from getting a lymphatic facial from reducing puffiness to removing unwanted toxins, but your face is not the only place to pump up your lymphatic system. One way to do that is by using a dry brush which helps stimulate your lymphatic system all over your body, and you can even do it at home! While you can use a dry brush for your body, it’s recommended that you use Gua-sha tools, jade rollers, and specific face brushes on your face which are a bit more gentle. Make sure not to over brush and start off slowly. If you don’t have the tools, you can definitely use your hands as well.
- Start your massage with the tips of your fingers from the base of the neck. By massaging these areas it will help lymph fluid drain easier.
- Move to the lymph nodes on your neck, the ones directly under your ears. Tilt your head back and massage gently underneath it for about three to four seconds.
- Move up to your chin, then up your face to your forehead.
- Repeat steps 1-3 four more times.
- Choose a brush with natural bristles and use long gentle strokes.
- Make sure you are always brushing towards your heart or lymphatic drainage area (3/4 of the lymphatic system drains into the left armpit area.).
- Start at your feet, brush up your legs towards the top of your thigh.
- Next, brush your abdomen towards your navel, then up your midline past your sternum towards your heart.
- Brush from your hands up your arm towards your armpit
Whether you need a little pick-me-up moment at home or want a detox for your face, lymphatic facial massages are a natural, healthy way to keep that beautiful face glowing!