The Pros & Cons of Botox – By Dr. Kelly Burkenstock
Botox is a cosmetic treatment for wrinkles and treating certain muscular conditions. It helps to relax the muscles by temporarily paralyzing muscles and is used around your eyes and your forehead, mouth, jaw and other areas. Botox provides a refreshed, youthful look as well as softened wrinkles. Last year over 7 million people received Botox injections and it is currently the most popular cosmetic procedure in the U.S.
Botox is considered safe — a study published in 2014 , JAMA Dermatology found an average of one negative side effect (typically minor) for every 3,333 procedures.
Botox is short for “botulinum toxin,” the bacteria that causes botulism, a sometimes fatal form of food poisoning. It sounds scarier than it is in reality. In small quantities, Botox merely interrupts nerve impulses to muscles in the face or anywhere it’s injected into the body. Common treatment areas are the lines that furrow the forehead when you raise your eyebrows, the crow’s feet that appear when you squint or smile, and the creases between the eyebrows when you frown. These “overuse” wrinkles are all caused by tension in underlying muscles. The active underlying muscles contract and squeeze the skin like an accordion. Botox relaxes these active “overused” muscles and keeps this aggressive contraction and the ensuing wrinkles from appearing for three to six months.
Fortunately, Botox is so diluted when used for treatments that serious side effects like allergic reactions are extremely rare. Allergic reactions such as itching, wheezing, asthma, rash, red welts, dizziness and faintness are seldom seen, but is noted in the literature.
Temporary Droopy eyelids or a mouth drool can occur if an inexperienced practitioner would inject the wrong muscle, and could last a few months. But even a perfectly executed Botox procedure may result in minor annoyances. Depending on which wrinkles are treated, you might not be able to express your full facial gestures.For example you may not be able to fully frown, or raise your eyebrows, or squint. Many feel this is a small price to pay for beauty! Clients often choose the wrinkle free and youthful look.
The good news is that even if there’s a little accident, Botox wears off after a while, typically 3-6 months. It gradually dissipates and the client can choose whether or not to have another Botox treatment . There are not any known permanent side effects from Botox. Mistakes are pretty rarre in the hands of an experienced and well-trained aesthetic physician.
Trained Aesthetic physicians also know when Botox will not be useful for a client. Some wrinkles result from the loss of elasticity due to aging that can cause the skin to sag and crumple. There are other treatments for this sort of wrinkle, but Botox isn’t one of them. Rather, Botox smooths and relaxes active, dynamic wrinkles .
So Botox is fabulous, but unfortunately not a cure-all. Consider the following list of pros and cons so you can make an informed decision:
1. Prevent wrinkles: Botulinum Toxin A, found in Botox prevents muscle contractions by attacking the proteins that trigger the contractions. This leads to reduced wrinkles since the muscles do not contract or move.
2. Temporary procedure: After the first injection you can decide whether to continue with the treatment or not. After some time, the skin returns to its original shape since the skin is not altered.
3. Quick results: Once you receive the injections, you can see the results within 2-7 days. In most cases, the Botox is 100% effective.
4. Downtime: little to none. Botox treatment may cause a tiny bruise, but in most cases it leaves no swelling or marks on the skin.
5. Convenient: If you want to carry out a cosmetic procedure to refresh your facial features, then Botox is the safe and convenient method compared to plastic surgery.
6. FDA approved: The FDA has approved Botox for use as a cosmetic procedure since it has minimal risks and few side effects.
7. Few risks: There are minimal health risks associated with the Botox procedure. As always, Pregnant women are advised not to use any drug including Botox because there is a small chance of the drug spreading to the unborn baby.
1. Allergic reactions: Some people may have reactions to the drug. Sometimes the reaction can be severe and uncontrollable.
2. Requires a professional: For you to do the injection, you need to go for a trained professional to administer the drug properly and also get medical help in case of an allergic reaction.
3. Prevents squinting: Botox procedures may affect some people where they’re unable to raise the eyebrows or squinting. Sometimes prevents you from having proper facial expression.
4. Temporary solution: Once you start Botox injections, you have to continuously do that after every three to six months if you want to maintain your new found beauty.
5. Cost: Botox costs $250 to $1500 depending on how much product is required to relax your facial muscles of expression.
6. Failure: Most Botox is carried out for aesthetic purposes and sometimes if done by a non- professional can make you look worse. Thus, it’s good to consult an aesthetic physician when deciding if it is good procedure for you.
7. Side effects: Bruising is the common temporary side effect of the drug. A small percentage of people complain of a slight temporary headache and eyelid drooping.
8. Paralyze unintended muscle: If it is done on the wrong area, it can cause temporary muscle paralysis or a look you didn’t want.
9. Painful: Botox procedure is administered through tiny needles which can be painful to some patients who fear needles. Most aesthetic physicians use local or topical anesthesia to prevent client discomfort.
Botox the Anti-Aging procedure?! After 20 plus years of documented Botox use have we found the Fountain of Youth or empty promises? By repeatedly relaxing the overactive muscles that cause deep wrinkles and furrows, the skin remains more youthful over time. Ongoing Botox treatments may cause the face to “age less” over time.
I found it interesting when you said that you will see a dramatic reduction in the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles after just one Botox treatment. My mom and sister are always looking for ways to look younger and they like to try new things. I will tell them about Botox to see if they would like to get treatment.
It’s interesting to know that one of the major benefits of Botox is that it will help you to prevent and reduces wrinkles. My mother has been thinking about choosing a treatment to help her to reduce her face wrinkles, and we are looking for advice to help her. I will let her know about the benefits of Botox to help her decide.
I loved how you mentioned that botox reduces wrinkles. My mom was over at my house for dinner last night, and she was telling me about how she’s feeling insecure about the wrinkles that have shown up on her face over the past couple of years. I’ll make sure to pass this information along to her so she can look into trying botox.
I love the fact that you can decide whether you like it or not after the first procedure. One of my friends is an actor and wants to get rid of some wrinkles this month. She’ll have to look into botox treatment.
You made an interesting point when you talked about how botox is a good option if someone wants a quick procedure that will freshen up your facial features. My fiance and I recently got engaged, and we want to make sure that we look our very best for our wedding day for our pictures that will be taken. Maybe it would be a good idea for us to look into getting a facial botox treatment.
It’s good that you point out that Botox is effective for reducing the appearance of wrinkles. I’ve been looking for a way to get rid of my wrinkles, so I’m considering trying Botox. I’m going to look for a good provider of Botox treatment in my area.
I loved that you mentioned one of the benefits of Botox is that it reduce wrinkles. My mother is thinking about how to prevent wrinkles, and we are looking for advice about what to do. I will let her know about the benefits of Botox treatment to help her decide.
It’s interesting to know that one of the benefits of Botox is that it will help you to reduce wrinkles due to their content of Botulinum. My wife and I are thinking about how to reduce wrinkles, and we are looking for advice. I will let her know about your recommendations to understand the benefits of Botox to help us decide.
Thanks for sharing both the facts about Botox, most of the bloggers either are glorifying the process or some say it as a toxic poison for skin. I was very confused, great that you have cared to light both the factors of this treatment.
It’s cool that you point out that Botox treatment can improve the appearance of your facial wrinkles. I’d like to have a more youthful appearance this year, so I’m thinking about visiting a med spa to get Botox treatment. I’m going to look for a good med spa in my area that does Botox treatment.
It’s awesome that you point out that Botox injections can improve your appearance if you have facial wrinkles. I have been looking for a way to get rid of some of my wrinkles, so I’m thinking about trying Botox injections soon. I’m going to look for a good dermatologist in my area who does Botox treatment.
My mom has been thinking about getting some botox treatments done for her face because she is getting a lot of wrinkles. Getting some help from a professional could be really useful for her. I liked what you said about how she won’t need any time to recover, and it can be really convenient for her to use.
It’s a relief to know that allergic reactions are pretty rare when getting a facial Botox treatment. For the past few months, I’ve been thinking about getting my wrinkles treated ever since they started becoming more noticeable under my eyes. Perhaps a Botox treatment would be a good way to treat myself on January since that is my birth month.
Thanks for also talking about the typical timeline to expect when getting Botox injections. I’d like find a good expert on that because I plan to start working on ways to make myself look more youthful. I think that doing that earlier will help me a lot in slowing down my aging process later down the line.